APRS Resources

1936 APRS Annual Report

Association for the Preservation of Rural Scotland (A.P.R.S.) 

ANNUAL REPORT 1936 

44 QUEEN STREET 

EDINBURGH, 2 

Telephone, 30317 

Table of Contents 

THE COUNCIL

REPRESENTATIVES OF CONSTITUENT BODIES

INTRODUCTION

THE COUNCIL

OFFICE PREMISES

PARLIAMENTARY AMENITY COMMITTEE

JOINT C.P.R.E. AND A.P.R.S. CONFERENCE, NEWCASTLE

CALEDONIAN POWER SCHEME

HOUSING AND THE PRESERVATION OF ANCIENT BUILDINGS

ROADS AND BRIDGES

THE POLLUTION OF RIVERS

NATIONAL PARKS

PUBLIC SPEAKING AND LECTURING.

BRANCHES

The following is a list of the Branches already formed:-

FINANCES

THE COUNCIL 

Chairman-Hon. W. T. H. SCOTT, MASTER OF POLWARTH 

The Most Hon. THE MAR- CHIONESS OF ABERDEEN AND 

TEMAIR. 

Sir ROBERT GREIG. 

Mrs G. HEDDERWICK, H. R. G. INGLIS. 

The Right Hon. THE COUNTESS W. H. JOHNSON. 

OF MINTO. 

Ex-Lord Provost HENRY ALEX- 

ANDER (Aberdeen). 

W. F. ARBUCKLE. 

Prof. F. G. BAILY. 

J. BARTHOLOMEW. 

H. MORTIMER BATTEN. 

B. HALL BLYTH. 

Sir D. Y. CAMERON. 

The Right Hon. THE EARL OF 

CASSILLIS. 

G. CONNOR. 

Mrs COWAN. 

Miss I. F. GRANT. 

W. GRANT. 

T. MACKINTOSH. 

G. OGILVY. 

B. N. H. ORPHOOT. 

J. WILSON PATERSON. 

The Right Hon. LORD POL- 

WARTH. 

Rev. A. E. ROBERTSON. 

J. M. RUSK. 

Capt. W. P. M. RUSSELL, M.C. 

D. GORDON SHIELDS. 

Major S. STRANG STEEL. 

Sir JOHN SUTHERLAND. 

P. THOMSEN. 

WM. WALKER. 

Sir W. E. WHYTE. 

Ex-Officio Members 

The Lady GEORGE CAMPBELL, President, Cowal Committee. The Right Hon. THE EARL OF GALLOWAY, Chairman, Galloway 

Branch. 

Lt.-Col. ARCHIBALD STIRLING, Chairman, Stirling and District 

Branch. 

The Right Hon. THE EARL OF MORAY, President, Moray and 

Nairn Branch. 

The Right Hon. THE EARL OF HADDINGTON, Chairman, Border 

Branch. 

Sir JOHN BUCHANAN-JARDINE, Bt., President, Dumfriesshire 

Branch. 

Also Branch Secretaries (vide list on p. 15). 

REPRESENTATIVES OF CONSTITUENT BODIES 

Society 

Cockburn Association 

Council for the Preservation of Rural 

England. 

Highland and Agricultural Society of 

Scotland. 

Institution of Municipal and County 

Engineers. National Trust 

Pure Rivers Society 

Representative Member of Council Prof. F. G. Baily. 

Sir Henry Fairfax-Lucy, Bt. 

The Hon. Walter T. H. Scott 

(Master of Polwarth). W. A. Macartney, A.M.I.C.E. 

Sir John Stirling Maxwell, Bt., 

K.T. (Corresponding Society). 

Royal Incorporation of Architects in John Begg, F.R.I.B.A. 

Scotland. 

Royal Scottish Academy 

Royal Scottish Geographical Society 

A. R. Sturrock, A.R.S.A. 

J. Bartholomew. 

Capt. A. E. Borthwick. 

Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Water 

Colours. 

Scottish Anglers’ Association. Scottish Estate Factors’ Society Scottish Land and Property Federation 

Scottish Motor Trade 

Scottish Mountaineering Club 

. C. H. Dodds. 

Gen. Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour, Bt. 

Malcolm Matheson. 

Scottish National Housing and Town Sir James Norval. 

Planning Committee. 

Scottish Ramblers’ Federation 

Scottish Rights of Way and Recreation 

Society. 

Will Grant. 

G. D. Cheyne. 

Scottish Society for the Protection of Wild 

Birds. 

Scottish Youth Hostels Association.. Smoke Abatement League of Great 

Britain. 

Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. Society of Scottish Artists Zoological Society of Scotland 

J. Smellie Martin. 

J. H. Burr. 

W. Brownhill-Smith. 

G. P. H. Watson. . W. M. Glass. 

REPRESENTATIVES OF AFFILIATED SOCIETIES 

British Association 

Deeside Field Club 

(Corresponding Society). J. Bentley Philip. 

East Lothian Antiquarian and Field H. Mortimer Batten. 

Naturalists’ Society. 

Falkirk Rotary Club 

Flora’s League 

Glasgow Civic Society 

. Rev. A. B. Robb. 

Sir Maurice Abbot-Anderson Walter Scott. 

Glasgow and West of Scotland Ramblers’ A. M’Gillivray. 

Federation. 

Hamilton and District Civic Society 

. Fred Smith, 

Holyrood Club 

T. Henderson, C.B.E. 

Outlook Tower, Edinburgh 

Scottish Arts Club 

Lady Whitson 

D. Gordon Shields. 

ANNUAL REPORT, 1936 

THE Council has pleasure in submitting the Annual Report of the Association, together with a Statement of Finances for the year ended 31st December 1935. 

In presenting its report the Council desires at the outset, and on behalf of all members of the Association, to express the sorrow which they, in common with all his subjects, have experienced at the lamented death of His Majesty King George V. The sad event is of too recent occurrence and too deeply felt universally to call here for more than brief and loyal reference. 

The Council also desires to acclaim and to welcome the new Sovereign, King Edward, whose qualities of mind and heart are so well known. 

Cordial thanks are again due to the office-bearers of the Associa- tion for their personal services during the course of the past year. 

The Council also desires to thank the Carnegie United Kingdom Trustees for their continued support, a sum of £1000 having been granted to the Association for the period 1936-1938. 

The Press also has to be warmly thanked for its interest in the objects and work of the Association. 

INTRODUCTION 

Recent utterances of the Secretary of State for Scotland anticipate a fair future for our country, which, he feels, will reap beneficent fruits from present developments in public health, housing, industry, leisure and other directions in the space of a generation. The prospect is pleasing, but its fulfilment seems to creak on the hinges of “ifs” and “ands.” 

A Jules Verne of to-day may scrap the past, and, by vaulting the present, visualise a proximate future when well-planned development shall have conferred its blessings; when aerodromes, perfected motor highways, steel and glass sunshine pavilions, electricity flowing with a facility not vouchsafed to milk and honey, and much else that now crawls in the grub state shall have taken wings as the butterfly of a happy to-morrow. Yet the inhabitants of a labouring world may timidly enquire of Olympus whether, in the transformation about to be unfolded, Scotland will continue to be recognisable. 

It is, therefore, perhaps as well to be reminded that while the policy of the Association freely accepts the principle of change, it seeks, in the process, to preserve the face of Scotland in its natural beauty, and to maintain contact with tradition. It may be, indeed, that the scope and rapidity of modern development will prove overpowering, and it is certain that much which has characterised Scotland in the past, and which still lingers to-day, will have disappeared within the next decade. Nevertheless, the endeavour must continue so far as practicable to protect both beauty of scene and the country’s inheritance handed down from an historic and dignified past. 

A review of the Association’s interests and activities during the past twelve months shows, as the foregoing suggests, that there has been no check in the pace of new development. The modern- ising of communications is continuous, involving extensive road and bridging programmes; and a vast amount of rehousing is urged forward by the Housing (Scotland) Act, 1935. Thus, the way is being laid for an ever-increasing volume of motor traffic, with its concomitants; and more and more of our rural area must disappear under bricks and mortar. In addition to this, the clear- ance of overcrowded areas will, or, at least, may, involve the demolition of large numbers of old buildings of distinctively Scottish character. The reason largely is that grants under the 1935 Act are primarily for the purpose of subsidising new building. The preservation and reconditioning of suitable old buildings thus becomes a secondary consideration, if it is not too much to say that it is to be left to chance or, at best, placed under great handicaps. Again, the promoters of a scheme for further hydro-electric develop- ment on a large scale for industrial purposes seek Parliamentary powers to proceed with their project, which involves the harnessing of the lochs and rivers of Glengarry and Glenmoriston. The proposal raises a major problem in the preservation of rural ameni- ties and well-being, and evokes wide and determined protest which, happily, is endorsed by a large majority vote in the House of Commons. 

More detailed reference will be made in this report to these and other matters which have come before the Council. The short catalogue of developments to which reference is here made does not exhaust the tally, but it may suffice to indicate that the “front” of changing conditions does not contract. 

THE COUNCIL 

The resignations of the undernoted members of Council have been accepted with regret:- 

Mr George Calvert. Mr J. D. Monro. 

Mr G. Pirie, P.R.S.A. 

The following new members representative of Constituent and Affiliated Societies on the Council are welcomed:- 

Lady Whitson, Outlook Tower. 

Mr A. R. Sturrock, A.R.S.A., Royal Scottish Academy. The Council has met regularly on the first Wednesday of each month (August and September excepted), and attendances have been uniformly good. 

Mr Kenneth Ferguson resigned the post of Organising Secretary to the Association for purely personal reasons on 31st October. His resignation was accepted with regret by the Council, who wish to place here on record their very warm appreciation of the great services which Mr Ferguson rendered to the Association during the eight years in which he held the appointment. 

Mr Edward M’Gegan was appointed Organising Secretary in January last. 

OFFICE PREMISES 

The offices of the Association were moved on 28th May last to 44 Queen Street, where the accommodation is more satisfactory than at 3. Forres Street. By courtesy of the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland, the monthly meetings of the Council have been held since June last at 15 Rutland Square. The arrangement has proved convenient to members of the Council, and it is desired to thank the Royal Incorporation very cordially for this facility. 

PARLIAMENTARY AMENITY COMMITTEE 

Following upon the General Election of last November the valuable Parliamentary Amenity Committee, representative of Scottish Members, which was formed in the autumn of 1934, was no longer in being. The Chairman, Sir Ian Macpherson (now Lord Strathcarron), had been obliged to retire through ill-health, and the Hon. Secretary, Mr J. G. Burnett, late M.P. for North Aberdeen, Dr W. H. M’Lean, late M.P. for Tradeston, at whose suggestion the Committee had been formed, and other members were not returned to Parliament. The Council very gratefully acknowledges the services which the Committee rendered to the Association, and is glad to be able to report that a group of Scottish Members has recently been dealing with any representations which the Association wished to make to Parliament, and that steps for the formation of a fully representative Parliamentary Amenity Committee will, it is hoped, shortly be taken. 

JOINT C.P.R.E. AND A.P.R.S. CONFERENCE, NEWCASTLE 

At the request of the A.P.R.S. the Council for the Preservation of Rural England kindly arranged to hold their annual conference for 1935 in Newcastle, and jointly with the Association. A Civic reception was accorded to the delegates, and Lord Crawford pre- sided at the opening session of the Conference, and also at an even- ing gathering for the interchange of views as between members of the two organisations. The Master of Polwarth was present throughout the Conference, and Sir Iain Colquhoun presided over the concluding session. A feature of the Conference was a dis- cussion on the possibilities of co-operation between Local Authori- ties and Amenity and Preservation Societies, the Scottish delegates being struck by the large number of English Local Authorities which were represented at the Conference. A resolution embody- ing this principle of co-operation was adopted for submission to the Government. Mr Pepler, of the Ministry of Health, delivered an address on the subject, and referred also to the problems of Town and Country Planning. In the course of his observations, Mr Pepler made the remarkable statement that some 17,000,000 acres of England and Wales were now within the ambit of planning schemes, either statutory or provisional. This fact shows the degree of importance attached in England to planning regulation as com- pared with Scotland. Sir Henry Richards held the attention of the. final session by an illuminating address on the problems of the educationist and the best means of promoting an understand- ing of the rural country through the schools. The Conference was brought to a close by visits to the Roman Wall, at Housesteads, Alnwick, and Bamborough, and by a reception at Sir Charles Trevelyan’s seat at Wallington. As Lord-Lieutenant of North- umberland, Sir Charles, ably assisted by Lady Trevelyan, had taken an intimate part in the proceedings of the Conference, contributing greatly to the success of the occasion. 

CALEDONIAN POWER SCHEME 

The Council gave very careful consideration to the Caledonian Power Bill, promoted by the British Oxygen Company, to harness the waters of Glengarry and Glenmoriston. As soon as details were available, in November, the Council appointed a special Committee to examine the scheme, and it was also suggested to the Company that, presuming that a scheme would actually be undertaken, it might be advantageous if the Company consulted with the Association at the commencement in regard to features of the works which might affect the scenery. This suggestion the Company kindly accepted. 

After consideration of the report of its Hydro-Electric Committee, the Council decided that the Chairman should communicate with the Secretary of State for Scotland, and that a copy of his letter should be sent to each of the Scottish Members of Parliament. As that letter, dated 25th January, raises important matters both of principle and policy it is printed here in full:- 

“As Chairman of the Association for the Preservation of Rural Scotland, I write to you about the Hydro-Electric Power Scheme promoted by the British Oxygen Company to harness the waters of Glengarry and Glenmoriston. 

“From the details of this scheme in the plans and draft Pro- visional Order it is evident that it will gravely affect the scenery in two of the most beautiful and accessible of Highland glens. 

“There are now six of these Hydro-Electric enterprises com- British pleted, or nearly completed, including those of the Aluminium Company at Foyers, Loch Leven, and Fort William, the Grampian and Galloway schemes, and the scheme which har- nessed the famous falls in the Clyde valley. All these schemes have left an indelible mark on the countryside. In some cases places which were very beautiful have been completely robbed of their beauty by the drying up of rivers and the creation of reservoirs which have converted many acres of fine pasture into mud. We suggest that before this further scheme is sanctioned by Parliament enquiry should be made into the operation of those already in existence, in order to ascertain whether their results justify the destruction they have caused. 

“All these schemes have promised employment and prosperity to the districts they have invaded. How far have these hopes been realized? Without such an enquiry as we suggest it is impossible to answer this question. But there are good reasons for doubting whether in any of these schemes, with the possible exception of those at Kinlochleven and Foyers, the expected benefits to the locality have materialized. In one case at least the failure to examine the scheme, from the point of view of national policy, had a disastrous result. The Falls of Clyde, we understand, would have been left alone but for the intervention of one of the riparian owners, who sought powers to exploit them. The Clyde Valley Company was compelled in self-defence to adopt a scheme which it would otherwise not have touched in order to avoid the competi- tion of a rival power station in its allotted area. Industrial Scotland has thus, without any good reason, been deprived of the finest natural feature in its immediate neighbourhood. 

“When the Grampian Scheme was brought forward we were told that one of its objects was to supply Dundee with cheaper power. Dundee finds it cheaper to supply its own power from coal. When the power of the Lochaber Scheme was concentrated in Fort William great prosperity was prophesied for that burgh. At this moment there are 418 persons on its Unemployment Register. 

“The enquiry we envisage would supply answers to the following questions among others:- 

“How many persons does the scheme permanently employ? “How many of these are drawn from the locality? “What contributions are made by the scheme and undertaings dependent on it to imperial and local taxation? 

“How much power is distributed locally for industrial and domestic purposes? 

“How does the cost of power supplied to the Grid compare with that of power generated from coal? 

“No one doubts that these schemes absorb a good deal of unskilled labour during the period of construction or that they bring considerable profit to the engineers, contractors, and firms who supply materials. Nor does anyone dispute that the benefit derived from them may justify some disfigurement of the country. The question is how far they do permanently benefit the locality, and how far the injury they inflict on the countryside is compensated by those benefits? Is it a sound policy to harness water power which gives little or no employment while so many miners are out of work? Would it not, from a national point of view, have been more beneficial as well as more economical to derive the required power from coal? 

“I am instructed by my colleagues on the Council of this Association to ask you to give early attention to this question, and to use your influence with the Private Bills Committee to delay consideration of the British Oxygen Company’s Bill until the suggested enquiry into existing schemes has taken place. Meanwhile it is proposed to lay the question before the Scots Members of Parliament individually.” 

In his reply, dated 11th February, to this letter Sir Godfrey Collins stated that, as the Draft Order for the scheme would prob- ably be the subject of an enquiry held in Scotland by a Commission, he had decided that it would be inappropriate that he should appoint another Commission or Committee to make the enquiry which the Association had suggested, because such an enquiry, if it were to serve the purpose contemplated, must necessarily trench in an undesirable way upon the enquiry by Commissioners which Parliament had prescribed. On 18th February Sir Godfrey Collins informed the Association that the Parliamentary Authorities had decided that the Caledonian Power Scheme should proceed as a Private Bill in Parliament, and the Council immediately decided to take steps to lodge a Petition to be heard as objectors to the Bill on the Committee stage in the House of Commons. 

A few days before the Second Reading of the Bill was taken in the House of Commons a memorandum, briefly setting forth the views of the Association on some aspects of the scheme, was sent to each of the Scottish Members of Parliament. The Bill was defeated on the Second Reading, on 18th March, by 199 votes to 63. 

It should be added that the Chairman of the Council, in acknowledging the letter sent by the Secretary of State for Scotland on 18th February, referred to above, stated that he felt very strongly that the enquiry for which the Association had asked in its letter of 25th January was of urgent and national importance, and should be held as soon as possible after the Caledonian Power Company’s Bill had been disposed of. 

HOUSING AND THE PRESERVATION OF ANCIENT BUILDINGS 

Much anxiety is felt at the probability that the Housing (Scot- land) Act, 1935, will lead to the demolition of large numbers of old houses of distinctively Scottish character in towns and villages throughout the country. Demolition orders are pouring in at a rate which makes the possibilities of supervision and preservation exceedingly difficult. Endeavours have been made through the First Commissioner of Works for the appointment of special inspectors to advise the Local Authorities, but without result. On the other hand, the Department of Health is in a position to check clearance schemes and to inform the Office of Works in particular cases of buildings worthy of solicitude. The A.P.R.S. also is doing what it can. It is in collaboration with the National Trust for Scotland, the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland and other bodies, with a view to the preservation and reconditioning of old buildings, and it is very desirable that the Branches of the Association should give all information and assistance possible to the Council. In this connection it may be mentioned that a comprehensive scheme of clearance and reconstruction in the “Old Town” of Stirling is being planned by an architect associated with the A.P.R.S., in full collaboration with the Local Authority and the Government Departments concerned, with a view to the preservation, wherever possible, of buildings and other features of historic and architectural interest. 

As an offset to this aspect of the housing problem, the Council welcomes the Report of the Scottish Architectural Committee, which was published by H.M. Stationery Office in April 1935 (price 6d.). This Committee, which included architectural members of the A.P.R.S. Council, was appointed to consider 

1. The incorporation of architectural quality and amenity in the lay-out, planning, and external treatment of houses for the working classes; and 

2. The erection of high tenements. 

The Committee’s Report has had considerable influence upon housing schemes in Scotland, and it undoubtedly was influential in the framing of the amenity section in the Housing (Scotland) Act, 1935. The effect of that section is that a Local Authority, in preparing any proposals for the provision of houses or in taking any action under the 1930 or the 1935 Act, shall have regard to artistic quality in the lay-out, planning, and treatment of the houses to be provided, the beauty of the landscape or countryside and the other amenities of the locality, and the desirability of preserving existing works of architectural, historic, or artistic interest, and shall comply with such directions, if any, in that behalf as may be given to them by the Department. The section also provides that for their better advice in carrying out the requirements of the section a Local Authority may, and if required by the Department shall, appoint a local advisory committee including representatives of architectural and other artistic interests, and the Local Authority shall furnish to the Department a copy of any representation, recommendation, or report made to them by the committee. 

ROADS AND BRIDGES 

Reference has been made in the Introduction to the extensive programmes for road and bridge development which are in progress. Road-widening operations are continuous throughout the country. The major programme in Scotland concerns communications in the North and in the Western Highlands and Islands, where it is very desirable that safe and adequate roads and bridges should be provided. As has been stated in previous reports, the Council has reason to feel grateful to many of the road engineers for the manner in which their improvements are now being carried out. To-day it is the usual practice for the designs of new bridges of any importance to be submitted to the Royal Fine Art Commission for Scotland for an opinion before construction is undertaken. The Council may fairly claim that this safeguard has come about through its solicitude that modern bridge-building should be worthy of the fine tradition handed down from the Middle Ages and con- tinued in the magnificent work of later centuries. Architectural and engineering consultants closely connected with the Association are at present devoting attention to various bridging operations, including a road bridge at Dornie Ferry, in Wester Ross, and a new road bridge at Dunblane, in Perthshire. The Association has also had the opportunity of advising on the reconstruction of old bridges. 

An undesirable feature of improved travel facilities is the erection of gimcrack refreshment kiosks, generally in the vicinity of places of note, as at Prince Charlie’s Monument at Glenfinnan, the Grey Mare’s Tail, and elsewhere. With a view to better control, the Scottish Land and Property Federation has been approached, in the hope that proprietors may insist on the better siting and design of such erections in future, as also upon the prevention of unsightly advertisements. 

THE POLLUTION OF RIVERS 

This year the Council is in a position to make a more favourable report on the progress of river purification than was possible last year. Progress, indeed, is still slow; but in respect of such an important river as the Tweed there is now definite advance. dissatisfaction was expressed in the Borders, in the early part of 1935, on account of the failure of the Authorities, both in town and 

Much country, to take effective action, despite the very full report of the Scottish Advisory Committee on the pollution of the Tweed. In consequence, the Council considered that it would be desirable to hold a meeting of those interested, in Kelso, under the auspices of the Border Branch of the Association. The meeting was held on 20th March. The Master of Polwarth presided, and Professor F. G. Baily delivered an opening address on the general question of river pollution, with particular reference to the Tweed. The Local Authorities of the Border area were well represented at the meeting, and free discussion took place. While a suggestion for the formation of a River Conservancy Board was not favourably received by the Local Authorities, the effect of the meeting was certainly to speed up arrangements for the purification of the river at various points. It is particularly gratifying that the filtration plant at Peebles is now well advanced. Effective purification works there, as well as at the down-stream burghs, will go far to remove the worst causes of complaint. 

Subsequent to the Kelso meeting, the Association was made aware of the deplorable condition of the Forth at and about Stirling. An approach was therefore made to the Advisory Committee to expedite an inquiry, with the satisfactory result that an inspection of the area was shortly afterwards undertaken by the Committee. On this occasion the Chairman and Secretary of the Stirling Branch of the Association were present, and a report by the latter was submitted to the Council in due course. It revealed a state of affairs which cannot long be tolerated; but in the meantime the Advisory Committee has much detailed evidence to assemble before its report on the Forth can be issued. A suggestion was, however, submitted by the Council to the effect that the Advisory Committee had now accumulated so much evidence on the causa- tion and incidence of rivers pollution in Scotland that continued enquiry into the condition of particular rivers should be unnecessary. It was felt that the Committee should be in a position to frame its final recommendations to Parliament without further delay. No steps appear so far to have been taken on this proposal, but the Advisory Committee has resumed its sittings after a somewhat protracted period of inaction. 

NATIONAL PARKS 

The Association has for some years devoted attention to the question of National Parks, and members will note with great satisfaction the decision of the Forestry Commission to devote a 

large area of hill country in Argyllshire to this purpose. Some years ago the City of Glasgow acquired as a park the western half of the peninsula known as Argyll’s Bowling Green, between Loch Long and Loch Goil. The new area includes the eastern half, continues up Loch Long to Arrochar and Glen Loin, westwards to Glen Kinglass, thus including the Cobbler and Ben Ime, down Loch Fyne to Strachur, and across to Loch Goil about half-way down. The whole area, including the Glasgow Park, amounts to about 100 square miles, and includes numerous and well-known glens and hills of romantic and thoroughly Highland character, penetrated or bounded by the sea lochs. The lower slopes are being planted with trees, and while these are small the afforested parts must be closed to the public except along definite paths, but in course of time it is probable that the whole area will be opened. Even at the beginning there will be a great stretch of moorland and mountain, in which large numbers of people may find recrea- tion and solitude. They will be free from the motor car, for the only road through the Park is by Glen Croe to Rest and be Thank- ful, and down by Hell’s Glen to Loch Fyne, or by Glen Goil to Lochgoilhead. 

It is proposed to build huts and other accommodation for visitors, and camping sites will be provided by the shores of the lochs. Altogether the scheme promises to be most attractive, and if it finds an appreciative and well-conducted public, other districts may be similarly treated. A portion of the Cairngorms is available, and many other wild parts, now given over to the red deer because no other creature can find a living there, may serve a more useful purpose, where the harassed town-dweller shall bless the Lord for the precious things of the lasting hills. 

PUBLIC SPEAKING AND LECTURING. 

Addresses have been delivered on several occasions during the course of the year by Sir Iain Colquhoun, the Master of Polwarth, Mr F. C. Mears, and the Organising Secretary. Broadcast talks have also been delivered on a few occasions, and in January last the Chairman broadcast an appeal for the financial support of the Association with fair results. Lectures illustrated by lantern slides have also been delivered by the Organising Secretary at a number of 

centres. 

BRANCHES 

No new Branches were formed during the past year, but plans for strengthening the existing Branches and for establishing closer co-operation between them and the Association’s headquarters, and also for the formation of a number of new Branches, will very shortly be brought before the Council. It is the experience of the Council that active Branches, closely observant of developments within their area which may affect amenities either beneficially or injuriously, and eager to work in co-operation with the Council in regard to these, are essential if the objects of the Association are to be vigorously and effectively carried out. The Council therefore appeals to all Branch members to give their active support to the work of their Branch, and equally to those members in areas where there are no Branches to aid the Council in its effort to establish the necessary area organisation. 

Among the activities of Branches during the past year should be mentioned the following: The Galloway Branch has submitted a proposal to the Forestry Commission and to the Education Authorities for the supply of seeds and young tree plants for the children to plant and tend in their school gardens, and thereafter to plant them out at selected places in towns or along roadsides. The Branch has also approached the Education Authorities with a view to getting their woodwork classes to make bird boxes, trays, and nesting places, and to have them placed in school gardens. The Stirlingshire Branch has formed a Committee to deal with matters concerning the town of Stirling. 

The following is a list of the Branches already formed:- 

Stirling and District Branch 

Border Branch . 

Dumfriesshire Branch 

Galloway Branch 

Cowal Branch 

Hon. Sec., E. S. Bell, Esq., Cran- 

stonhill, Stirling. 

Hon. Sec., R. Stormonth Darling, Esq., W.S., Woodmarket, Kelso. Hon. Sec., Miss I. H. K. Beattie, A.R.I.B.A., F.S.A.Scot., Brecon- 

rae, Dumfries. 

Hon. Sec., A. M’Cormick, Esq., Royal Bank Buildings, Newton Stewart. 

Hon. Sec., C. B. Lockie, Esq., 29 

Ferry Brae, Dunoon. 

Moray and Nairn Branch. Hon. Sec., Colonel J. E. Tennant, 

Innes House, Elgin. 

FINANCES 

(Statement overleaf) 

Subscriptions from all sources, including the due proportion of Life Members’ payments, amount to £314, which is the same as for last year. This sum does not, however, represent the com- plete income, as the accounts from Branches were not all com- pleted by the end of the year. It has now been agreed that all Branch subscriptions shall be paid to the head office, so this irregularity will not occur in the future. There are 4 new Life Members, the Life Membership Fund standing at £999. There is a balance of receipts over expenditure of £119, which reduces the floating deficit against the Life Membership Fund to £506. Donations amount to £25. 

The expenditure, £633, is £82 less than last year, due partly to a saving in the rent, cleaning, and caretaking in our new offices, reduced telephone charges, and more favourable terms for the supply of stationery and other office materials, and printing. 

It must be remembered that the grant from the Carnegie Trust will soon cease, and without this grant the present income does not meet the expenditure, which cannot be diminished without restric- tion of activities. The increase of membership during the year has been disappointing, and members are asked to bring in friends to the support of the Association. A larger membership will strengthen the influence of the Association and make its financial position secure. 

Back
to top